Armenia has called on the international community to help end Azerbaijan’s “aggressive actions” after an outbreak of violence in which the two sides accused each other of violating a ceasefire in the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Armenia “calls on the international community to take steps to put an end to Azerbaijan’s aggressive actions and attitude and to activate the necessary mechanisms to do so,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on 3 august.
The Russian Defense Ministry also issued a statement in response to the new violence in the region, while the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry demanded the disarmament of what it called the “illegal Armenian formations” around Nagorno-Karabakh. .
The Russian Defense Ministry statement, quoted by Interfax, said Azerbaijan had violated the ceasefire and its peacekeeping contingent was “taking steps to stabilize the situation together with representatives of the Azerbaijani sides and Armenian”.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry said Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov had a phone call with Toivo Klaar, the European Union’s special representative for the South Caucasus.
“It was underlined that the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan implemented adequate response measures to military provocations in their sovereign territories,” the ministry said.
According to the statement, Bayramov said that the provocations of the Armenian side are undermining the mediation efforts.
Both sides suffered casualties after the outbreak of hostilities.
The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said in a statement on August 3 that Armenian troops opened fire on the positions of the Azerbaijani army in the Lacin district, which has been under the control of Russian peacekeepers since November 2020, killing an Azerbaijani conscript Anar Kazimov.
The de facto ethnic Armenian military authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh have in turn accused Azerbaijan of a major violation of the ceasefire with the use of grenade launchers and drones, claiming that two ethnic Armenian soldiers had been killed and 14 others injured in separate attacks.
The separatist leader of the separatist region, Arayik Haratiunian, signed a decree on partial mobilization.
Russia accused Azerbaijan of breaking the ceasefire.
These developments prompted EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell to call for an immediate cessation of hostilities, his spokesman said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army said later on August 3 that the situation was “relatively stable” as of 6 p.m. local time after working with Russian peacekeepers, who have been stationed in the area since the ceasefire. fire of 2020 following a deadly six-week war. between Azerbaijan and Armenia on the region.
The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said ethnic Armenian forces in the region attempted to seize a hill on a mountain range overlooking Lacin and Kalbacar to establish a new position.
He said that Azerbaijani forces carried out a “revenge” operation and took over the positions with others, destroying armed Armenian elements in the process.
He also posted videos showing what appear to be military vehicles catching fire after being hit by airstrikes.
Armenia lost control of parts of the breakaway region and seven adjacent districts under the Russian-brokered ceasefire. An estimated 2,000 Russian troops have been deployed to monitor the situation.
Nagorno-Karabakh, which had been under ethnic Armenian control for nearly three decades, is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan.